Business development in the digital era is now starting to shift not only by selling products in online stores such as marketplaces but also by utilizing social media through live streaming features. Live streaming on the TikTok application allows consumers to directly see the products offered and interact with sellers. This study analyzes what factors influence consumer purchasing decisions when viewing live streaming on the Tiktok application. Respondents in this study were consumers who made purchases through live streaming on the Tiktok application as many as 173 respondents. Measurement of research results was tested using the Structural Equation Model (SEM) based on Partial Least Square (PLS). The results of the study show that scarcity messaging and hedonic shopping motivation influence impulsive buying. In addition, impulsive buying mediates the relationship between scarcity messaging and purchase decisions, and impulsive buying also mediates the relationship between hedonic shopping motivation and purchase decisions. The results of this study can be used by business people to analyze the factors that influence purchasing decisions so that they are expected to be able to increase sales when live streaming takes place.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Akram, U., Hui, P., Khan, M., Yan, C., & Akram, Z. (2018a). Factors Affecting Online Impulse Buying: Evidence from Chinese Social Commerce Environment. Sustainability , 10 (2), 352. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10020352
- Akram, U., Hui, P., Khan, M., Yan, C., & Akram, Z. (2018b). Factors Affecting Online Impulse Buying: Evidence from Chinese Social Commerce Environment. Sustainability , 10 (2), Article 2. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10020352
- Azizah, FD, Nur, AN, & Putra, AHPK (2022). Impulsive buying behavior: Implementation of IT on technology acceptance model on E-Commerce purchase decisions. Golden Ratio of Marketing and Applied Psychology of Business , 2 (1), 58–72.
- Bakırtaş, H., & Divanoğlu, SU (2013). The effect of hedonic shopping motivation on consumer satisfaction and consumer loyalty. International Journal of Asian Social Science , 3 (7), 1522–1534.
- Brabo, NA, Sari, NE, Iswati, H., & Meidiyustiani, R. (nd). The Influence of Price, Promotion and Positive Emotions on Online Impulse Buying with Hedonic Shopping Motivation as an Intervening Variable (Study: Women Fashion Products in Indonesia) .
- Brabo, NA, Sari, NE, Iswati, H., & Meidiyustiani, R. (2021). The Influence of Price, Promotion and Positive Emotions on Online Impulse Buying with Hedonic Shopping Motivation as an Intervening Variable (Study: Women Fashion Products in Indonesia). Budapest International Research and Critics Institute-Journal (BIRCI-Journal) , 4 (4), 11358–11368.
- Çavuşoğlu, S., Demirağ, B., & Durmaz, Y. (2021). Investigation of the effect of hedonic shopping value on discounted product purchasing. Review of International Business and Strategy , 31 (3), 317–338. https://doi.org/10.1108/RIBS-04-2020-0034
- Chen, C.-C., & Yao, J.-Y. (2018). What drives impulse buying behaviors in a mobile auction? The perspective of the Stimulus-Organism-Response model. Telematics and Informatics , 35 (5), 1249–1262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2018.02.007
- Chung, N., Song, HG, & Lee, H. (2017). Consumers' impulsive buying behavior of restaurant products in social commerce. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management , 29 (2), 709–731. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-10-2015-0608
- Ek Styvén, M., Foster, T., & Wallstrom, Å. (2017). Impulse buying tendencies among online shoppers in Sweden. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing , 11 (4), 416–431. https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIM-05-2016-0054
- Elisa, HP, Fakhri, M., & Pradana, M. (2022a). The moderating effect of social media use in impulsive buying of personal protective equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cogent Social Sciences , 8 (1), 2062094.
- Elisa, HP, Fakhri, M., & Pradana, M. (2022b). The moderating effect of social media use in impulsive buying of personal protective equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cogent Social Sciences , 8 (1), 2062094. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2022.2062094
- Hamilton, R., Thompson, D., Bone, S., Chaplin, LN, Griskevicius, V., Goldsmith, K., Hill, R., John, DR, Mittal, C., O'Guinn, T., Piff, P., Roux, C., Shah, A., & Zhu, M. (2019). The effects of scarcity on consumer decision journeys. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science , 47 (3), 532–550. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-018-0604-7
- Heny Sidanti, Dian Citaningtyas Ari Kadi, Hari Purwanto, & Wahyu Sri Lestari. (2022). The Effect Of Easy Perception And Security Perception On The Intention Of Using Shopeepay Through Attitude As Intervening Variables In Madiun. International Journal of Science, Technology & Management , 3 (1), 215–228. https://doi.org/10.46729/ijstm.v3i1.430
- Horváth, C., & Adıgüzel, F. (2018). Shopping enjoyment to the extreme: Hedonic shopping motivations and compulsive buying in developed and emerging markets. Journal of Business Research , 86 , 300–310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.07.013
- Ilyas, G., Rahmia, S., Tamsah, H., & Yusriadi, Y. (2022). Does fear of missing out give satisfaction in purchasing based on social media content? International Journal of Data and Network Science , 6 (2), 409–418.
- Kim, S., & Eastin, MS (2011). Hedonic Tendencies and the Online Consumer: An Investigation of the Online Shopping Process. Journal of Internet Commerce , 10 (1), 68–90. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332861.2011.558458
- Kyrgyz, A. (2014). Hedonism, a consumer disease of the modern age: Gender and hedonic shopping in Turkey. Global Media Journal , 4 (8), 200–212.
- Klepek, M., & Bauerová, R. (2020). Why do retail customers hesitate for grocery shopping online? Technological and Economic Development of Economy , 26 (6), 1444.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, KL (2012a). Marketing Management (14th ed.). Pearson Education.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, KL (2012b). Marketing Management (14th ed.). Pearson Education.
- Liu, XS, Shi, Y., Xue, NI, & Shen, H. (2022). The impact of time pressure on impulsive buying: The moderating role of consumption type. Tourism Management , 91 , 104505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2022.104505
- Moser, C. (2020). Impulse buying: Designing for self-control with E-commerce .
- Mowen, JC, & Minor, M. (2002). Consumer Behavior (2nd ed.). Erlangga.
- Nguyen, S., & Ha, T. (2021). Predictors of fast-fashion-oriented impulse buying: The case of Vietnamese millennials. Management Science Letters , 11 (7).
- Noor, ZZ (2020). The Effect of Price Discount and In-Store Display on Impulse Buying. Sociohumanities , 22 (2), 133–139.
- Nurmila, N., Sulhaini, S., & Saufi, A. (2021). The Need for Uniqueness's Impact Analysis on Impulsive Buying of Online Fashion Products with Prices as Intervening Variables. International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding , 8 (12), 451. https://doi.org/10.18415/ijmmu.v8i12.3151
- Ozen, H., & Engizek, N. (2014). Shopping online without thinking: Being emotional or rational? Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics , 26 (1), Article 1. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJML-06-2013-0066
- Prawira, NA, & Sihombing, SO (2021). PREDICTING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SCARCITY AND SERENDIPITY INFORMATION TOWARD IMPULSE BUYING BEHAVIOR: HEDONIC SHOPPING VALUES AS MODERATOR VARIABLES. ASEAN Marketing Journal , 13 (1). https://doi.org/10.21002/amj.v13i1.13216
- Rouibah, K., Lowry, PB, & Hwang, Y. (2016). The effects of perceived enjoyment and perceived risks on trust formation and intentions to use online payment systems: New perspectives from an Arab country. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications , 19 , 33–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2016.07.001
- Santo, PE, & Marques, AMA (2021). Determinants of the online purchase intention: Hedonic motivations, prices, information and trust. Baltic Journal of Management , 17 (1), 56–71.
- Schiffman, GL, & Kanuk, LK (2008). Consumer Behavior (7th ed.).
- Song, M., Noone, BM, & Han, RJ (2019). An examination of the role of booking lead time in consumers' reactions to online scarcity messages. International Journal of Hospitality Management , 77 , 483–491. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2018.08.012
- Tirtayasa, S., Nevianda, M., & Syahrial, H. (2020a). The Effect of Hedonic Shopping Motivation, Shopping Lifestyle And Fashion Involvement With Impulse Buying. International Journal of Business Economics (IJBE) , 2 (1), 18–28.
- Tirtayasa, S., Nevianda, M., & Syahrial, H. (2020b). The Effect of Hedonic Shopping Motivation, Shopping Lifestyle And Fashion Involvement With Impulse Buying. International Journal of Business Economics (IJBE) , 2 (1), 18–28.
- To, P.-L., Liao, C., & Lin, T.-H. (2007). Shopping motivations on the Internet: A study based on utilitarian and hedonic values. Technovation , 27 (12), 774–787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2007.01.001
- Xu, X., Wu, J.-H., & Li, Q. (2020). What drives consumer shopping behavior in live streaming commerce? Journal of Electronic Commerce Research , 21 (3), 144–167.
- Yu, C., & Bastin, M. (2010). Hedonic shopping value and impulse buying behavior in transitional economies: A symbiosis in the Mainland China marketplace. Journal of Brand Management , 18 (2), 105–114. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.32
- Zheng, X., Liu, N., & Zhao, L. (2013). A Study of the Effectiveness of Online Scarce Promotion—Based on the Comparison of Planned Buying and Unplanned Buying . https://aisel.aisnet.org/whiceb2013/51/